Thursday 10 May 2018

Our Day at Live at Leeds


I attended Live at Leeds 2018 last weekend and had one of our busiest days yet. On top of going to photograph for Denim + Leather I was also photographing for Festival Republic. This meant that I wasn’t able to catch a lot of the bands I wanted to see as I was given a schedule, but none the less I always enjoy watching bands I’ve never really listened to perform. Even if I walk away having decided they weren’t for me it’s good to be in the moment and pick out the things I do enjoy from their set.

(The Horrors)


Live at Leeds is by far my favourite inner city festival, and this year the sun was beaming down and showing how beautiful Leeds is. Everyone in the city was full of good vibes and music filled the air, whether it was walking past a venue or just a busker on the street. It was the perfect day for LAL 2018.

For Festival Republic I was asked to photograph Easy Life, Bloxx, The Magic Gang and The Horrors. On a personal note, where I had the time I went to see The Shrives, Demob Happy, Peace, Rival Bones and Bad Sounds.

My highlights from the day:

I decided to go see Peace in honour of my 17 year old self, the only time I had previously seen them was at Leeds Festival 2014, way before I appreciated music in the same way I do now. Though the lighting was terrible (from a photographer’s perspective) which always puts a damper on a set. Peace kicked it off with loads of their old bangers which was a pleasant surprise. I was singing along in the photo pit, it was a good upbeat vibe and the entire room was loving the return of Peace.



I got down to Church in time to catch the last few songs of Bad Sounds whilst waiting to photograph The Horrors. Admittedly I had never listened to them before, but they put in some of the best on stage energy I had seen all day that they’ve gained a new fan.




The Magic Gang played at the O2 Academy, it was probably my favourite set of the day, yet again I have to admit I hadn’t listened to them before. But their set was so upbeat and fun and had the entire room dancing, since then I’ve had them on repeat. They’re a change of pace to the music I would normally listen to, but they’re jams are perfect alongside the sunshine we’ve had the past few days!




Rival Bones are absolutely always spectacular,  it doesn’t natter how many people are in the room you will never see them give anything other than 110%. They played at Santiago’s bar and they created a great atmosphere, had a lot of people dripping in sweat by the end and over all were just the loud blues rock goodness you want!


The Shrives are a band I have been waiting a long time to see, I wasn’t sure what to expect from their performance but every song was diverse and their set was full of variety, you were never bored. They played on the Briggate Dr Martens stage, kicking off the day. They were really exceptional, they released their single ‘Crash Me’ a few days ago and I highly recommend you check it out.



Last but not least, Demob Happy came on shortly after The Shrives as a guest performance. I’d never heard of them before and they were my favourite discovery of the day. I can’t wait to catch them at Liverpool Calling, and I’ll be sure to head to any of their gigs near me in the future!



Review and photography by Holly Beson-Tams.

“Sunset Sons lit up a dark and sweaty O2 academy with some great summer anthems. Had the crowd singing and dancing along till the last note.

Local lads Fizzy Blood sent The Key Club crowd into cahoots with their intense but groovy alt-rock style. Tonnes of cowbell, even more riffs, and a fantastic mosh pit, great fun.

Avalanche Party put on another mesmerizing live set at The Lending Room, a set that deserved to be watched by thousands, but the busy room in awe of their pulsating sounds. Easily, one of the best underground garage bands in the country. How far can they go?” -James Brown’s highlights.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Denim + Leather. Design by FCD.