Saturday 30 June 2018

The Harlers | Secret Lover | Single Review

The Harlers, a three piece originated in Swindon, have an new single Secret Lover ready to be listened to and enjoyed on Soundcloud. The single is categorised into an alternative rock genre and I believe this is accurate, however it appears to be a heavier alternative style rather than a mellow alt-rock ballad. 


Personally I really enjoyed this song as its loud guitar riff, that became very catchy after only listening twice. The guitar is definitely the part that stands out the most in this song, which is great, yet it took my focus away from the actual lyrics. However on my second preview of the song I listened more thoroughly to what was being said and a clearer narrative to the song was unfolded.

The lyrics seem to be reflecting on the singer and/or protagonist and his ‘secret lover’ which could relate to someone who he fantasises about - but can’t get - or potentially someone who he is secretly seeing but doesn’t know if it’s love or just a ‘fling’. I’m sure this song can be relatable for some, yet I can’t personally relate to everything said, yet I’m almost certain everyone will be able to relate to the idea of having a person that, as the lyrics state, “running through” their mind. Personally I enjoy songs that have a story to them that the artist is singing about and I feel as though with more heavier, upbeat songs it’s harder to connect with what’s being said, nevertheless as a music lover I always try to grasp my own interpretation of the lyrics. 

In addition to this I found that the sound of music was very similar to Royal Blood. Whether The Harlers have taken inspiration from the well known rock band, they definitely have done a good job in using that inspiration and putting it into their own music. This could potentially ruffle a few feathers as they sound incredible similar and certain elements of the song have a huge similarity to Royal Blood. That being said, where would any band or any musician be without their aspirations and inspirations. 

Review by Emily Richardson

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Denim + Leather. Design by FCD.