Sunday 7 April 2019

Mister Strange | I Want | Single Review

I Want by Manchester band, Mister Strange is a dose of fearless and immediate rock and roll daring.

The video takes some brilliantly surreal imagery, including a snapping Godzilla figure, moving shapes, and glimpses of band members. By staying partly hidden behind swirls of colour, they create an appealing sense of intrigue and mystique.
They take the attitude and rawness of groups like The Stooges and The Sex Pistols and give their own modern sharpness. The band employ several tricks to keep you gripped, including noisy guitar soloing, yelling echoes at the beginning and end, and towards the climax, a wall of sound that stops and starts like some heavy machine.
A gritty, driving bassline carries the song into gear, joined soon after by a bed of solid drums and crashing symbols, and biting guitar. The vocals have an edge and snarl that gives character whilst avoiding being overdone. Dave Vanion of The Damned and Stiv Bators of The Dead Boys come to mind as similarities.
The lyrics take some old school rock imagery, with “when I’m walking down the street” while blending in some clever lines painting a picture of a conflicted relationship:
While I’m looking at the Sky, can you see me down there, I don’t get why you’re moving outta here”.

If I were to use a song as my alarm clock, this would be it. I mean that in the best way.
Watch the video for I Want here
Catch Mister Strange at Soup Kitchen in Manchester on 21st May.

Review by Lawrence Peattie

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Denim + Leather. Design by FCD.