Wednesday 27 June 2018

Mollie Marriott Interview

Your debut album Truth is a Wolf was released in November last year. What has the response to it been like?

Its been great. Im so unbelievably lucky. It was terrifying. I didn't read any of the reviews for a while, I was too scared. Im aware my surname brings huge expectation but I was hopeful my music would be accepted which luckily it has been.
You are a very talented singer-songwriter. Would you say that you have a particular writing process?
Firstly, thank you! I used to, however recently Sam Tanner and I have been trying new things out for the next album and its been working well. Its normally always melody first then structure then lyric but I'm enjoying it and just seeing what happens and letting it come as it does.
I do sometimes have the need to write but get blocked. I was told by a mutual friend that sometimes when writing, Stevie Nicks sings a new melody over an old song and then changes the odd chord, write new lyrics and by the time its left the studio its a completely different song and you'd never connect the two. I tried it.. it works.



The songs on the album all seem very personal. Where do you draw your lyrics from, do you write from experience or write stories?

I never write stories as I can't connect to it. I have to write from the heart otherwise i don't see the point. Im a private person so it doesn't come easy putting things out there but i force myself to get it out purely for a cathartic need. A lyrical self harm sometimes.

When youre in a stage of writing is there anything in particular you listen to, or do you avoid listening to music? Just any listening habits!

I do for inspiration. Depending where my head space is at the time or what vibe I'm in for will depend on what i listen to. Chris Cornell will always appear but then the poetry from Ben Howard or Florence Welch will pour in and the rawness and picture painting Lana and Alanis complete it all.
Im back listening to Ann Peebles a lot at the moment but then ill mix it with Nine Inch Nails for that Electro Rock vibe. I don't want to sit in the classic 70s Rock n Roll as I feel its been done to death.

What would you say is the song that holds the most meaning to you from the album? Or is there a song youre particularly proud of?

Transformer. All the others on that album I'm emotionally done with. Im over those situations except that one. Also Im proud of the poetry of Armour. It holds some of my favourite lyrics. Im proud of them all really



You first started performing aged just 12 and have had an exciting career since. What would you say has been your biggest highlight?

Oh gosh. So many. I can whittle it down to two. Firstly, being part of The Old Grey Whistle Test Anniversary was incredible. What an honour to be part of such a legendary show in Musical history! I was so proud of Bob that day. He was just so focused and inspiring.. It was a real family vibe and doing the show with my dear Pete Frampton and was just a beautiful thing .
Also, sharing a stage with Planty. Magic!

You have a big gig coming up at The Water Rats in Kings Cross on the 5th of July. What can your fans attending can expect from the night? How would you describe your stage presence?

  Hopefully a release to what ever stresses and strains they have. A LOUD night of fun with a soul of its own that only we will experience and no camera phone will haha

The Second Echo and Siobhan Mazzei are your support acts on the night. Why did you choose these two acts to support you?

My manager introduced me to The Second Echo. They have a cool Arctic Monkeys meets The Temperance Movement vibe. I held a competition for a acoustic support act where they would have to send in a cover of one of my tracks off of Truth Is A Wolf. Siobhan did Control and put her spin on it and i loved that.

You have previously cited Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alanis Morissette as your influences. Is there anyone else you would say has inspired you?

Im a HUGE Ben Howard fan. He's the only artist I've left the country for. He is my ultimate escape and he hits my core like no other. Also Lana Del Rey. I love how you dont hear from either artist unless theres music involved thats how it should be and not about your new bag or what you're having for lunch. They dont give a shit.

I am also a Hip Hop fan and have loved Eminem since his first album. He is a god damn rhythmical genius. Have you heard Rap God? Ridiculous!



When youre not making music yourself what do you find yourself listening to?

Łoving an artist called IAMX. His voice is incredible. So pure and as I stated before, im liking the electro gothic vibe at the moment. In fact Ben Howard has a song called The Defeat which is making my ears happy which has this sound has a hint of Hearing Damage by Thom Yorke to it. The Prodigy, Audioslave. Also im loving the rise of women in rock at the moment. The Beaches, Dorothy and Deap Vally are al playing in my house at the moment.

The Jam legend Paul Weller features on the track King of Hearts. How did that connection come about?

Ive known Paul since I was 15. I adore him. You know where you stand with him. No bullshit. He has been a rock with this album and my career. I wanted to work with his Producer and my dear friend Jan Kybert and Jan said we should speak to Paul. Paul gave us his studio and then offered to play on it which obviously i was so touched by.

What was he like to work with?

Great! He was encouraging and didn't take over just wanted to help make music. Its great to see him still get nervous too. Hes very passionate about music and writing and it was an honour to work with him and Jan.

Do you have any dreams youd still like to achieve in terms of your music career?

Of course. Brixton Academy and Eventim Apollo Hammersmith are my venue goals. I love those venues. More albums and collaborations. Also to tour out of the UK.

Finally, what else have you got planned for 2018? What can we look forward to seeing/hearing from you?!


I have another tour coming up the end of the year and hopefully new music as thats where I am at the moment. Back in the studio.

Interview by  Molly Thompson

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Denim + Leather. Design by FCD.